The Micro finance (mF) Self Help Group (SHG) programme nurtured by NABARD has helped in resurgence of an alternative credit system administered by the clientele themselves, which has been effective in reducing poverty and has opened up sustainable development opportunities for the poor.
NABARD has led the evolution of the "Self Help Group (SHG) – Bank convergence model" as a cost effective, sustainable mechanism for providing financial services to the unreached poor.
The vast experience and insight gained by NABARD in the sector are available through NABARD Consultancy Services for wide range of activities as shown below:-
- Design suitable operational model for a location
- Development of sustainable Self Help Groups
- Capacity building of partner institutions
- Rating of mFIS
- Training of bankers
- Training of government officials
- Organisation of exposure visits to developing countries for bankers, government officials, NGOs and others concerned with mF.
- Organisation of International Visitors Programmes (IVP) to India